Sunday, April 25, 2010

Big Bertha

Well "Big Bertha" has been in my life for a few weeks now (my Harley!) and every day our relationship is growing.
Today I took her out with a friend of mine who has had her Harley ("Harlot") for 8 months, we rode along the ocean road and took the girls out on the freeway. We all had a great time and my confidence with Bertha is improving. The more saddle time I get the better I feel handling her, my biggest issue is her weight, she's a big girl....hence the name! Once we are on the road her weight isn't an issue, its just when I move her around the driveway or garage.
My friend BHD who is a long time Harley rider and rides a gorgeous Road King, has given me some great advice and reassurance since I got Bertha, his latest piece of advice is to spend time just moving Bertha around, sit on her and move her around! This isn't as silly as this sounds, it actually works, it is giving me confidence moving her around. I was sort of doing that but only did it for a few minutes at a time, now I will make a point of doing it for longer and make sure I do it everyday!!
I was having reservations about bringing Bertha into my life, but its like any new relationship, bit nervous and curious at the same time! After today's ride I am feeling I have certainly made the right decision, I ask myself this question 'are the physical symptoms I am feeling when I approach her...racing heart, slight breathlessness, little shakes...fear or excitement?' and my answer is 'its whatever I want to interpret them as', I can choose fear or I can choose excitement, the symptoms are the same.....and it is excitement all the way!!

1 comment:

  1. I am pleased to read this post, and know what it has taken to achieve the ride. I'm proud of you, but more importantly, am delighted to know that your confidence is building and that you are enjoying what you set your heart on doing: riding and having fun on Big Bertha!

    ReplyDelete